The University of Eldoret was established upon the award of Charter by the President on 11th February, 2013, on the Chepkoilel University College.
The institution was founded in 1946 by the white settlers initially as a Large Scale Farmers Training Centre. In 1984, it was converted to a Teachers’ Training College and renamed Moi Teachers’ Training College to offer Teachers’ Training in Science at Diploma level. Due to the double intake crisis, the College was taken over by Moi University in 1990 and converted into a university campus – Chepkoilel University Campus offering basic and natural science degree programmes. Through Legal Notice No. 125 of August13th, 2010 the Campus was upgraded into a University College, Chepkoilel University College, still a Constituent College of Moi University.
The University is Science, Environment/ Natural Resource, Agriculture and Technology based institution and has grown steadily from the initial Schools of Agriculture, Natural Resources and Science to the current 8 schools with 34 academic departments and a student population above 14,000. The university is collaborating with many institutions both locally and internationally; it has MoUs with University of Missouri (USA), University of Eastern Finland, University of KwaZulu Natal (SA), just to mention a few.